Welcome to Dar es Salaam
What started as a 19th-century fishing village is now Tanzania’s largest city and capital in all but name. Close to the warmth of the equator, there are many picturesque beaches, busy markets and historic buildings to be discovered in this East African escape.
Things to see and do
- Relax and unwind on the sandy, palm tree-lined stretches of Coco Beach, or head further south to Kigamboni and paddle in the warm shores of the Indian Ocean.
- Head to the open-air Village Museum with its collection of traditional and authentically constructed Tanzanian dwellings to get a real taste of Tanzanian culture. Don’t miss the afternoon ngoma dance shows!
- Make a difference to the lives in Tanzania with Investours. The fee you pay for this tour of local businesses will provide them with an interest-free loan – meaning you get a behind-the-scenes glimpse of local trade, and they can support their enterprises in future.
- See famous fossils, learn about Zanzibar’s rich history and view vintage cars at the Dar es Salaam National Museum.
- Take in some fashionable, local art at Wonder Workshop, a project set up to provide disabled Tanzanians with constructive work. Using recycled materials, they create everything from safari animals to abstract art, jewellery, candles and toys – perfect for unique souvenirs.
- If you’re looking for the authentic Tanzanian shopping experience, head to Kariakoo market. Why not try out traditional dishes like the grilled nyamachoma or skewered mishkaki while you’re there?
- Looking for some excitement? The Kunduchi Wet ‘N’ WildWater Park – the largest in East and Central Africa – provides just that. There’s a wild selection of over 20 waterslides to plummet down, some from five storeys high!
Tip for travellers:
Less than a three-hour drive from Dar es Salaam is the Mikumi National Park
. Lions prowl this grassy kingdom for zebra, wildebeest, impala and buffalo, while giraffes and elephants forage among the acacia. Safaris and guided walks are available for those who like to wander from the beaten path.